Monday, April 27, 2009

Confessions of a mom that can't cook

I like to say that Jonathan stunted my cooking growth and development. We started out as high schoolers on pretty equal footing... meaning we could both make a frozen pizza. As Jonathan's interest in cooking grew and my interest in eating his cooking grew... it became much less worthwhile for me to expand my culinary skills. Jonathan's first high school job (and also my first high school job) was as a server at the local "Mexican Steakhouse." Jonathan eventually became a prep cook there and that led to a series of restaurant cooking gigs through high school and college. Jonathan's first full time job after college was working as a chef for "The Atlas," which is a well respected four star restaurant in Iowa City. Everything from scratch. Mostly organic and pricey enough we couldn't otherwise afford to eat there.

Jonathan loves to cook. For him, it is a way to serve and love his family. I love to eat. It is a beautiful system. However, sometimes schedules collide and the duty of providing nourishment for our family falls upon me. I can bake and sometimes those skills come to some use in preparing an evening meal. I can make a fabulous homemade pizza with the dough from scratch. However, as the semester winds down and I am seeing less and less of my husband I'm realizing that I really need to expand my culinary offerings. Saturday night I made chicken salad sandwiches (inspired by a phone conversation with my sister.) I looked at a few recipes, but then made up my own. They were decent enough that Jonathan said he would eat them again even though they included grapes. We'll call that a win. Double points to me for using the grapes before they got old. Sunday night I made spaghetti (thankfully, I can manage that.) Tonight the plan is to do breakfast for supper. I don't think we've ever done that since we were married, but I am a master of the from-scratch pancake and Gabriella will be thrilled. If I make whole wheat pancakes and add some fruit/eggs can I call it a healthy meal? Probably not if I include bacon.

Perhaps you can help me think of some simple, reasonably nutritious (can't be worse than pancakes, right?) meals. Oh yeah, they also need to be virtually foolproof and dairy free.

Here are Natalie's rules of cooking:

1. Find a way to distract the children. Keep Juliana from pushing the step stool up to the sink so she can play in it. Remember not to put gross stuff (ie: plate used to thaw chicken) in the sink where Juliana can get to it no matter where I seem to hide the darn stool.
2. Consider hiding all the chairs in addition to the stool.
3. Don't allow Jonathan see me using knives or other dangerous kitchen equipment. There is a high likelihood he will run across the room and take over in an attempt to save my imperiled appendages.
4. Don't try to watch more than one thing at once.
5. Find recipes that can be thrown together and stuck in the oven.
6. Use timers.
7. When all else fails, bake fresh bread to take attention away from the rest of the meal. Everyone loves bread, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go on the chicken salad! Gee, I feel so inspiring! Tonight I made fajitas... It may be a tad bit too much cutting for you, but I do think it is pretty easy and all in one pan. Maybe you could have Jonathan make the marinaide for you ahead of time??? What about French dip sandwiches as a spin on the roast beaf thing? Hmmm.... There are a lot of basic things like baked chicken with a baked potato and veggies... Do you like meatloaf? My kids seem into it all of the sudden and you really can't mess it up unless you burn it.

A

Cooking with Big E said...

The only time David cooks around our house is when I'm useless due to morning sickness (and then it's out of a box) and Saturday morning pancakes (that I make from scratch and he flips). I have a favorite croc pot meal that I'm making for dinner tomorrow that is dairy free as far as I know (not sure on the tortillas?):

Lime Chicken Tacos
1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup chunky salsa
12 flour tortillas, warmed

Place chicken in 3 qt croc pot. Combine lime juice and chili powder and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and shred, return to slow cooker (pour out the juices first). Stir in corn and salsa and cook on low 30 minutes until cooked through. Serve with tortillas. I also serve cheese with ours but you can obviously omit that!

Marinated Grilled Chicken Breasts:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Combine first four ingredients and pour over chicken in ziploc bag. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and then grill 5-7 minutes on each side.

Natalie Whisler said...

Amy- Thanks for chicken salad inspiration :) Meatloaf is out because Jonathan makes a fabulous meatloaf that he hides a ton of veggies in (shhhh... don't tell our children.) I have made simple baked/roasted chicken along with roasted brocoli and that goes over OK.

Kellie- Thanks for the recipe! tortillas are usually fine. We use them all the time for wraps for G.

Anonymous said...

I love that pic of G and J! They look like little old-fashioned girls. I think I need a big one of it... Hint! Hint!

A