
On Wednesday night when I came home from work the first words out of Jonathan's mouth were, "You are not going to be happy with your firstborn." The next words were, "Look in the bathroom." I peeked into the downstairs bathroom and saw a pile of long dark brown locks laying on the floor. I think I let out a small gasp. It looked like a LOT of hair. I went to survey the damage and found Gabriella, still quite pleased with her attempts at self-styling and not getting why Daddy and Mommy were not looking pleased. I was actually pretty calm and not nearly as upset about it as I thought I might be. Apparently, after Gabriella's nap/quiet time she told Jonathan she was going to use the bathroom. Jonathan noticed the trip was taking a bit long and went in, catching her in the act. She had managed to get one good sized chunk on the side (that will be easy to blend in if we get some layers added to the front) and a small chunk darn close to the scalp right by her part. That one will be lovely to grow out. I'll have to take a good share of the blame. I was running late for work and needed to grab a pair of scissors from the bathroom in order to disentangle some string on something I was taking with me to work. I replaced the scissors on a lower shelf than they belong on. Thank goodness Jonathan was so on the ball or the child might be bald. I had Gabriella help me clean up the hair on the bathroom floor and we had some discussion on the situation. Thankfully, I've mellowed out enough as a mom to realize that it really is just hair. (Please remind me of this stance if either girl ever does some REALLY serious hair chopping.)
Here is an overview of of Gabriella's (temporary) new do...

6 comments:
THIS is why I have not handed my 3 year old scissors. I'm scared to death at what she might decide she needs to cut! Good for you for being calm about it.
Gabriella looks pleased posing for the new hairdo photo! I feel your shock and sick tummy at the sight! Aunt Lindsay had long hair and got ahold of Jonathan's child-scissors and cut off her bangs at the scalp and a hunk on the side, clear up to her chin. Moral of that story is to keep child #2 (Juliana) away from child #1s(Gabriella) art box. Good thing it happened after the wedding. :)
Kathryn
Natalie,
While cleaning the garage yesterday, I by chance ran across the letter I had written to Alyssa after she'd gone to bed on the night she chopped her hair. She was 2 and 3 months. I'd evidentally calmed down a lot from initial reaction. It talks about wanting to call mom to tell her about it and how much I loved Alyssa and such. I will have to read it to you some time. Gee, I would have been a good blog mom. I just was born too early! lol
Now blogging with teenagers might not be so nice! I think we'll just try to live through this era without remembering it all!
A
A
Sis, I hate to admit this but there is genetic precedence for this. On the other hand I had the sense to experiment on Shawn's locks before working on my own, or perhaps Gabriela is more considerate of her sibling than I was. Mom about had a heart attack and it took a while before she could again make that little curl on the top of his head that was all the baby style back in 1964. Judging from the picture Gabriela got off easier than Shawn did. Give the girls hugs and kisses from Uncle Kevin.
Ha--I once had a child cut her hair at my house when her mom wasn't here! Another mom and I collectively gasped as we watched her do it. Maybe Gabriella can make the Pigtail Party on 4/24 and Courtney will have some ideas?
Gabriella looks like (in the photo) she knows you are taking a picture of her haircutting job. It is rather tough to decide there whether she's still proud or a tad embarrassed.
What is your take Natalie?
A
Post a Comment