Gabriella has been sooooo excited to go to preschool and I've been exited for her. It helps that she has a wonderful teacher. Any time I leave Gabriella with someone I have to trust them to manage Gabriella's food allergies. Will this person think about allergens hiding in craft activities? Will they think about cross contamination and residue on sticky hands? Can I trust them to administer the epi-pen without hesitation in the critical first few minutes after peanut exposure? It is a big job. In the case of Gabriella's preschool teacher... I feel very much at ease leaving Gabriella in her care and that is no small thing. Gabriella's classroom is peanut free and I appreciate the other parents and children making that sacrifice to keep Gabriella safe at school.
Anyhow that got a bit off track... back to Gabriella's first day...
Gabriella was up bright and early proclaiming that she was ready to go to preschool. I managed to hold her off for a few hours, but we still ended up heading out the door with way more than enough time for our short walk. When we arrived in the classroom Gabriella's teacher mentioned that she had some papers for me to sign for medication administration so she asked if I would stick around for a few minutes. Gabriella went happily off to explore the paints and the play kitchen. As I was signing the papers and answering a few questions for her teacher, Gabriella came up to me and proclaimed under her breath, "MOM! The other parents are leaving!" Sigh. I really thought I had another 8 years or so until she was embarrassed by my mere presence. So I waved, tore Juliana away from the marble tower and headed out the door.
I will say that as I walked away with Juliana I couldn't shake that vague feeling that I had forgotten something. Juliana quickly overcame her frustration at having to leave her beloved big sister AND a room full of toys as we headed for her first solo park trip. For once, she controlled the pace and we spent a good long while smelling roses (each of which must be declared "thats nice" or "not nice") and watching ducks.
When it was time to pick Gabriella up she was full of stories from her day. They pack a lot into a morning! I think that will be my favorite part of preschool days. Letting her have her own little adventure and sitting down with her to hear about it afterwards.
No comments:
Post a Comment