Sunday, November 2, 2008

An Almost Candy Free Halloween...

Each year our church supplies the volunteers for the "Spooktacular" party/carnival at our local community center. This year it was on Monday and we went as a family. Jonathan ended up manning our "Spider Slide" game booth for the entire evening while I kept the girls entertained. Gabriella was able to enjoy some games, bracelet making and had her face painted for the first time. I have a few Spooktacular pictures up on Shutterfly for those curious as to what Jonathan looks like as a pirate.

On Friday I dressed up as Sarah Palin for work. I have to admit, it was pretty fun. However, Jonathan was more than a little creeped out. One of our club members also dressed as Palin, complete with an "I can see Russia from my house" pin. Interestingly, one of my co-workers is from Wasilla, Alaska. Her opinion of Palin as Mayor/Governor is not the most favorable... to put it nicely.

Friday evening we did Trick-or-Treating with the 2005 Playgroup. The entire event was pre-orchestrated with candy-free treat bags at about six stops. We walked together through the neighborhood and then enjoyed some soup together afterwards. Isn't that the best idea you have ever heard of? I am very thankful to Kirstin for organizing it and to Rene for opening up her home!



Isn't this "loot" way better than candy? Gabriella especially enjoyed the squishy lizards, the pink playdough, the honey stick and the stamps.



After soup was ever we headed for home and Gabriella mentioned that she didn't actually "knock on any doors" (the adult passing out the goodies at our stops mostly met us outside.) So, we went ahead and let her trick-or-treat at a few houses on our block. We let Gabriella keep a pack of Starburst (they are peanut/dairy safe) and Jonathan and I enjoyed a few treats ourselves.

1 comment:

The McAuleys said...

So glad you could join us!
Clara's favorite was a squishy frog. She asked me if I wanted to pet him and then told me, "You need to wash your hands first." ha.